Re: What actually is required for DNS and Origin?

Alex Wauck wrote on 07/21/16 23:40:

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Josh Berkus <jberkus redhat com
<mailto:jberkus redhat com>> wrote:

    There is no external DNS server, here.  I'm talking about a portable
    microcluster, a stack of microboard computers, self-contained.  The idea
    would be to run some kind of local DNS server so that, on directly
    connected machines, we could point to that in DNS and it would expose
    the services.

    I suppose I can just bootstrap that, maybe as a system container ...

If it's a bunch of microboard computers, I'd be tempted to just stick
one more in there and run BIND on it.  Are you running a DHCP server, or
are all IP addresses statically assigned?

I'm pretty sure using plain IPs will also work. question as I understand is though where to put the automatic routes subdomain.

If you have only one router node (which might be ok in your case), you can use xip.io and configure the subdomain to something like:
apps.10.0.5.122.xip.io

That would be easiest unless your local network blocks private IP responses from external DNS servers.

Otherwise you'd need custom DNS server and point client machines at it.