Re: What actually is required for DNS and Origin?

If you're running the installer we deploy dnsmasq to all nodes and you can supply an additional config file to add wildcard support. The only thing preventing dnsmasq from being accessible outside of a node is the need to manually open up port 53.

https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible/blob/master/inventory/byo/hosts.origin.example#L418-L420

On Jul 21, 2016 5:56 PM, "Josh Berkus" <jberkus redhat com> wrote:
On 07/21/2016 01:40 PM, Alex Wauck wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Josh Berkus <jberkus redhat com
> <mailto:jberkus redhat com>> wrote:
>
>     There is no external DNS server, here.  I'm talking about a portable
>     microcluster, a stack of microboard computers, self-contained.  The idea
>     would be to run some kind of local DNS server so that, on directly
>     connected machines, we could point to that in DNS and it would expose
>     the services.
>
>     I suppose I can just bootstrap that, maybe as a system container ...
>

> If it's a bunch of microboard computers, I'd be tempted to just stick
> one more in there and run BIND on it.  Are you running a DHCP server, or
> are all IP addresses statically assigned?

There's a DHCP server, but it's a cheap router, so it can't do DNS.
Mind you, I've configured the router to assign specific addresses to all
the cards.

I'd rather not add another card to the stack, though, they're $200 each
with the accessories.

> I'm pretty sure using plain IPs will also work. question as I understand
> is though where to put the automatic routes subdomain.

Right.

> If you have only one router node (which might be ok in your case), you
> can use xip.io and configure the subdomain to something like:
> apps.10.0.5.122.xip.io
>
> That would be easiest unless your local network blocks private IP

Well, the network is self-contained, pretty much.  Everything is behind
a NAT router, so I can do whatever I want, I just need to build it.

Josh Berkus
Project Atomic
Red Hat OSAS