cannot expose docker service

I have trouble exposing a service as a docker container.

My Dockerfile ends with EXPOSE 8080 and I have a route using that port:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/d76d9c04c7417bc8bcf455b91db70424

I don't see where I'm doing things differently and yet I can `curl localhost:8080` from the pod itself but not access it from the outside world where I'm consistently seeing a 503 Service Unavailable.