Re: Home origin server CPU question - Hardware junkies

Hey Grant,

Just some general thoughts...

This comparison might help - at a quick glance it seems like the i5-6600 might be a good option: http://ark.intel.com/compare/93338,88188,92986,88196,88195

This build gives you 32GB memory & 4 cores for $600: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/y7HHWX -- that amount of money would barely cover the cost of a single Xeon chip and some memory, let alone the case/motherboard/graphics.  Swapping out the i5-6600 for an i7-6700K adds another $115: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mfjzPs

Dual Xeons are a bit pricier at $1,600: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MMxzPs (16 cores, hyperthreaded - buying two i7 systems would be $1,450, and would have: same total memory 64GB, better redundancy, more disk space, though only 8 cores).  Both Xeons and i7s have a higher TDP, which usually corresponds to higher costs for power & cooling, which might be a factor depending on your local climate.

You might also get better advice asking on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab+buildapc

An advantage of going with commodity hardware is that, given the price difference, you can buy one system to start, then purchase another if you find you need more capacity.  By the time you need it, the second system will probably be cheaper and more powerful, owing to Moore's Law.

I'm curious what others think, though. I'm certainly not an expert and it's been awhile since I've built my own machine.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Jonathan