Re: multi cloudprovider

On Oct 26, 2016 7:26 AM, "Andrew Lau" <andrew andrewklau com> wrote:

> Thanks
>
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 at 22:12 Jason DeTiberus <jdetiber redhat com> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 26, 2016 4:29 AM, "Andrew Lau" <andrew andrewklau com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Does openshift have support for multi cloudproviders (without federation)? eg. if we want to spread a cluster across AWS and oVirt.
>>
>> It does not. To deploy a single cluster across multiple cloud providers or multiple regions in the same cloud provider the integrated cloud provider support needs to be disabled.
>
> Would it be possible to have a cloud provider and then nodes not part of the cloud provider?

It would not, part of the cloud provider integration is to automatically remove nodes that are no longer present in the cloud provider. The node controller process would delete those nodes.

>> This is a limitation of Kubernetes and there are currently no plans to change this outside of using federated clusters.
>
> Federation seems to be a kube only thing atm(?)

I'm not sure if we are planning as exposing it as tech preview for Origin 1.4 or 1.5. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more info.

>> > My concern around such an implementation is the AWS dynamic volume provisioning and masters access key requirements.
>>
>> Indeed, you would lose all support for cloud-based volumes, even pre-provisiond ones.
>>
>> You could use Gluster for dynamic volumes.
>
> Does gluster still have the 100 volume limit? We lose out on a lot of IO last time we had a large gluster cluster.

I'm not sure. I only mentioned it because it's the only built in dynamic provisioner that isn't tied to a cloud provider.