problem with websockets

I have an application that runs on tomcat and uses websockets. I'm able to build it and test it in a standalone docker container and it works fine. When I deploy that same image to my openshift instance the application can not connect to the websocket. After doing some research I've found some conflicting information. Older articles that i've read mention that you can only connect to websockets on openshift through port 8000 or 8443. However, the documentation at https://docs.openshift.org/latest/architecture/core_concepts/routes.html#routers seems to indicate that websockets are no different then the other protocols handled by the openshift router. Is this the case or does it need to be port 8000? If it's port 8000, do I need to configure a separate connect in tomcat in my docker container for port 8000?