accessing registry when promoting between proejcts

I'm trying to work through the process of promoting builds between environments as described here:
https://docs.openshift.org/latest/dev_guide/application_lifecycle/promoting_applications.html

I've got to the stage that I have exported some items from env1 (using oc export) and imported into env2 (using oc create) and the deployments appear, but are stalled because the images are not available. I understand this is because env2 is accessing the docker registry from env1, and I need to allow this. I think I did this correctly, but without success. Also from the console (in Add to project > Deploy image) when I try to access an image stream of env1 from env 2 it also tells me that:

Service account default will need image pull authority to deploy images from env1. You can grant authority with the command: oc policy add-role-to-user system:image-puller system:serviceaccount:env1:default -n env2

This is exactly the command I used, but it doesn't seem to work (as indicated by the console complaining as described).

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong?
This is using Minishift version 1.0.0-rc.1 and oc version v1.5.0-rc.0+49a4a7a

Thanks
Tim