Re: When should dnsmasq be disabled?

Hi,

Always read the latest documentation unless you're still on verision 3.2.

https://docs.openshift.org/latest/install_config/install/prerequisites.html

As of OpenShift Origin 1.2, dnsmasq is automatically configured on all masters and nodes. The pods use the nodes as their DNS, and the nodes forward the requests. By default, dnsmasq is configured on the nodes to listen on port 53, therefore the nodes cannot run any other type of DNS application.

I think you should disable dnsmasq if you don't use network manager but then you will run into issues as dnsmasq and DNS setup scripts are part of OpenShift configuration so you're better off to keep it like that. Just make sure you have no other DNS running. I cannot at the moment predict any situation when you should disable dnsmasq in the cluster.

Regards,
TH