Unable to get hostPath r/w without privileged: true

I am unable to get a writable hostPath volume for a "privileged: false" container, even when the container's runAsUser owns the directory on the host.

The k8s docs say "You either need to run your process as root in a privileged container or modify the file permissions on the host to be able to write to a hostPath volume".  I have tried origin via openshift-ansible release-3.6 and master branches.

I have tried more permutations than I can remember in the manifest, granting different permissions to the service account, but not matter what, I cannot get anything inside a container to write to the hostPath without setting 'privileged: true' for the container.

Here is a fairly simple example:

https://gist.github.com/nbartos/36319ddea5819284d76b667c69d8916f