Re: no mcrypt in s2i-php

On 19 Jul 2017, at 10:10 AM, Ben Parees <bparees redhat com> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 6:26 PM, Piotr Baranowski <piotr baranowski osec pl> wrote:
Is there any reason for the s2i-php-builder not to contain the mcrypt library and php-mcrypt extension?

It is very popular and I'd say crucial to majority of LAMP apps.

I had to recreate a s2i-php image so it contains the missing php packages, but still, I'd like to understand why.

It comes down to what packages our SCL team is able to package/maintain.  If there's an SCL package for it, it should be easy to include in the image, otherwise it will need to be packaged so we can properly build+maintain/support it.

You will also get concerns from the SCL team and others about the size of any packages which people suggest be added. If every single package that someone wanted were added, the size of the image would grow dramatically. We would end up with same as the overly bloated official Docker images using Debian on Docker Hub for various language stacks.

If weren't for the pushback on that, I am sure I would have a string of packages would like to see added. One right now for example which encountered in last day is ImageMagick being missing. It stops me from using official Python S2I builder for a specific application in Python space.

Note that there's already an issue open requesting this particular package:

I'm also copying Honza who leads the SCL team responsible for the images.

best regards
--
Piotr Baranowski

Ben Parees | OpenShift