BuildRequest name parameter

What is the purpose of the {name} URL parameter for the instantiate in BuildRequests? ie.
POST /oapi/v1/namespaces/{namespace}/buildconfigs/{name}/instantiate

https://docs.openshift.org/latest/rest_api/openshift_v1.html#create-instantiate-of-a-buildrequest

The docs seem to suggest it's the name but I can set it to anything and the name ends up getting pulled from the JSON body ie.:

{
      "metadata": {
      "name": "test"
    },
    "triggeredBy" : {}
}

If my JSON body does not include a name then it complains that there is no "name".