Health check of API-server and HA-proxy

We are using an external load balancer in front of both the API-server and the HA-proxies, and need some form of health checks to achieve HA.

The API-server has got /healthz and /healthz/ready endpoints, what the difference?​ Could any of those be used (and which is recommended), or are there better choices?

There is a /healthz endpoint in HA-proxy on port 1936, but it isn't exposed outside the cluster and requires a password (which is unique per dc). What else could be used? We would like to stay as close as "stock configuration" as possible to reduce technical dept.

​What are the recommended ways to do health checking of those components?

--
Pelle

- Wernher von Braun