Node not joining cluster during ansible install

I'm trying to get to grips with the advanced (Ansible) installer.
Initially I'm trying to do something very simple, fire up a cluster with one master and one node.
My inventory file looks like this:

[OSEv3:children]
masters
nodes

[OSEv3:vars]
ansible_ssh_user=root
openshift_hostname=<private master dns name>
openshift_master_cluster_hostname=<private master dns name>
openshift_master_cluster_public_hostname=<public master dns name>
openshift_disable_check=docker_storage,memory_availability
openshift_deployment_type=origin

[masters]
<private master dns name>

[etcd]
<private master dns name>

[nodes]
<private master dns name>
<private node1 dns name>

I run:
ansible-playbook ~/openshift-ansible/playbooks/byo/config.yml
and (after a long time) it completes, without any noticeable errors:

PLAY RECAP *********************************************************************************************************************************************************
<private node1 dns name> : ok=235  changed=56 unreachable=0    failed=0
<private master dns name> : ok=623  changed=166 unreachable=0    failed=0
localhost                  : ok=12   changed=0    unreachable=0 failed=0

Both nodes seem to have been setup OK.
But when I look on the master node there is only the master in the cluster, no second node:

oc get nodes
NAME STATUS                     AGE
<private master dns name> Ready,SchedulingDisabled   32m

and of course like this nothing can get scheduled.

Presumably the node should be added to the cluster, so any ideas what is going wrong here?

Thanks
Tim