Backup of databases on OpenShift

Hi,

We recently set up an OpenShift Enterprise cloud and we're wondering what the best practices are for backing up databases running in an OpenShift cloud. I will focus on PostgreSQL here, but the same goes for MongoDB, MariaDB...

- Should we rely on backups of the persistent volumes (we're using NFS)? This would mean assuming the on-disk state is always recoverable. Which it *should* be, but it does feel like a hack...
- Should we have an admin-level oc script that filters out all running database containers and does some 'oc exec pg_dump ... > backup.sql' magic on them?
- Should we provide some simple templates to our users that contain nothing but a cron script that calls pg_dump?

Please share your solutions?

Kind Regards,

Jens