Re: Backup of databases on OpenShift

Hi Jens,

We are using a crontab-based pod to trigger backups using rsh + upload to object storage (s3 or azure blob).
Here is the repo: https://github.com/getupcloud/backup

It will be updated to use CronJob/ScheduledJob as soon as I get some time work on it.

Best regards,

--
Mateus Caruccio / Master of Puppets
GetupCloud.com

Hi Jens.

on Donnerstag, 08. Juni 2017 at 16:46 was written:

Hi,

We recently set up an OpenShift Enterprise cloud and we're wondering what the best practices are for backing up databases running in an OpenShift cloud. I will focus on PostgreSQL here, but the same goes for MongoDB, MariaDB...

- Should we rely on backups of the persistent volumes (we're using NFS)? This would mean assuming the on-disk state is always recoverable. Which it *should* be, but it does feel like a hack...
- Should we have an admin-level oc script that filters out all running database containers and does some 'oc exec pg_dump ... > backup.sql' magic on them?
- Should we provide some simple templates to our users that contain nothing but a cron script that calls pg_dump?

Please share your solutions?

I like this one.

oc rsh <POD> mysqldump/pg_dump/... > backup_file

Some user use Filesytem back, as you have mentioned

I have seen somewhere out a concept with a sidecar container but I can't find it now

What I have seen in the past is not the backup the problem, the restore is the difficult part.
I have once needed to restore a db (postgresql) and it was not that easy and not automatically!

Kind Regards,

Jens

--
Best Regards