garbage collection docker metadata

Does garbage collection get triggered when the docker metadata storage is full? Every few days I see some nodes fail to create new containers due to the docker metadata storage being full. Docker data storage has plenty of capacity.

I've been cleaning out the images manually as the garbage collection doesn't seem to trigger.