setting up routes

I've come across a couple of scenarios where the default routes that are created for an app do now work correctly, and I'm not sure how this should be done.

For instance, when running minishift on a Mac (using Docker Mac, thus accessing through the xhyve VM) you can connect to the OpenShift console OK, and deploy an app (I chose the parksmap-katacoda demo app) OK. But when you try to set up the route to this app I hit problems. The default settings generate a URL that cannot be resolved (e.g. http://parksmap-katacoda-my-project.192.168.64.18.xip.io/ - clearly the local 192.* IP address is not going to be resolvable) , and I can't figure out how to set this up correctly.

Tim