Re: registry.access.redhat.com/openshift3/ose:latest wrongly tagged?

Hi Troy,

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 09:15:45 -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
> For the official OpenShift Container Platform (OCP) images, you should
> *not* use "latest"

Thanks for pointing that out, I completely agree that using 'latest' is
not a good practice.

Note however that the official Ansible script to setup OpenShift seem to
use latest, unless you specify 'openshift_version' in the hosts file
(and that you should do that was not obvious to me). Also, it seems that
you need to specify the full version, like 3.5.5.5, for example.

> The definition of "latest" for docker images is "The last image pushed
> into the registry with that name."
>
> As Jonathan showed, there are alot of images for openshift3/ose, and
> all sorts of different versions.  OCP is the enterprise version of
> Origin.  Because of that, we still support the older versions, and we
> have updates for those older versions.
> Because we have updates for those older versions, the "latest" tag,
> gets changed quite a bit, and goes to all different types of versions.

Is that by design? Why do you update the latest tag when updating the
older versions? Shouldn't 'latest' be sort of the HEAD version?

> What should you use if you want the latest 3.5 image?
> openshift3/ose:v3.5

How can I specify that for the Ansible scripts? Or should maybe the
Ansible scripts do this automatically?

> Is this documented?
> Documentation is currently being updated and we should have a URL for
> you in a week or two with better explanation than this.  We apologize
> that this wasn't documented before.
>
> On a different note, since the registry handles both v1 and v2
> registry commands, you can query the registry with curl to get the
> listings, along with the image sha sum.  I like this way because I can
> then see which tags go with which image.
>
> $ curl -k http://registry.access.redhat.com/v1/repositories/openshift3/ose/tags
> | python -m json.tool

When I query the v2 API, I seem to get version 3.2.1 when I fetch
'latest':

Compare the following outputs:
wget -q -O- https://registry.access.redhat.com/v2/openshift3/ose/manifests/v3.2
wget -q -O- https://registry.access.redhat.com/v2/openshift3/ose/manifests/v3.5
wget -q -O- https://registry.access.redhat.com/v2/openshift3/ose/manifests/latest

v3.2 contains the same fsLayers as latest.

> You'll notice that right now, "latest" is actually pointing to the
> latest 3.5 image.

Is it? Did you try to "docker pull" it?

Cheers
David