Re: registry.access.redhat.com/openshift3/ose:latest wrongly tagged?

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 9:39 AM, David Schweikert <david schweikert ch> wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 09:15:45 -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
>> For the official OpenShift Container Platform (OCP) images, you should
>> *not* use "latest"
>
> Thanks for pointing that out, I completely agree that using 'latest' is
> not a good practice.
>
> Note however that the official Ansible script to setup OpenShift seem to
> use latest, unless you specify 'openshift_version' in the hosts file
> (and that you should do that was not obvious to me). Also, it seems that
> you need to specify the full version, like 3.5.5.5, for example.
>
>> The definition of "latest" for docker images is "The last image pushed
>> into the registry with that name."
>>
>> As Jonathan showed, there are alot of images for openshift3/ose, and
>> all sorts of different versions.  OCP is the enterprise version of
>> Origin.  Because of that, we still support the older versions, and we
>> have updates for those older versions.
>> Because we have updates for those older versions, the "latest" tag,
>> gets changed quite a bit, and goes to all different types of versions.
>
> Is that by design? Why do you update the latest tag when updating the
> older versions? Shouldn't 'latest' be sort of the HEAD version?

I'm sure it's by design.  Who's design, I don't know.
All I know is that how it works.  The last image in with that name,
get's the label "latest"

>> What should you use if you want the latest 3.5 image?
>> openshift3/ose:v3.5
>
> How can I specify that for the Ansible scripts? Or should maybe the
> Ansible scripts do this automatically?

Good question.  I'm not an expert on that.  I'll defer it to someone who is.

>> Is this documented?
>> Documentation is currently being updated and we should have a URL for
>> you in a week or two with better explanation than this.  We apologize
>> that this wasn't documented before.
>>
>> On a different note, since the registry handles both v1 and v2
>> registry commands, you can query the registry with curl to get the
>> listings, along with the image sha sum.  I like this way because I can
>> then see which tags go with which image.
>>
>> $ curl -k http://registry.access.redhat.com/v1/repositories/openshift3/ose/tags
>> | python -m json.tool
>
> When I query the v2 API, I seem to get version 3.2.1 when I fetch
> 'latest':
>
> Compare the following outputs:
> wget -q -O- https://registry.access.redhat.com/v2/openshift3/ose/manifests/v3.2
> wget -q -O- https://registry.access.redhat.com/v2/openshift3/ose/manifests/v3.5
> wget -q -O- https://registry.access.redhat.com/v2/openshift3/ose/manifests/latest
>
> v3.2 contains the same fsLayers as latest.
>
>> You'll notice that right now, "latest" is actually pointing to the
>> latest 3.5 image.
>
> Is it? Did you try to "docker pull" it?

You are correct.  I did a "docker pull" and latest matched v3.2, not v3.5.
There goes my confidence in the v1 shasum check I do.