ansible with openstack cloud provider

I'm trying to use the openstack provisioning stuff (cinder volumes etc.) using the Ansible installer. From the origin docs key to this is to enable the openstack cloud provider, which I try to do this this:

openshift_cloudprovider_kind=openstack
openshift_cloudprovider_openstack_auth_url=
openshift_cloudprovider_openstack_username=
openshift_cloudprovider_openstack_password=
openshift_cloudprovider_openstack_domain_name=
openshift_cloudprovider_openstack_region=
openshift_cloudprovider_openstack_lb_subnet_id=

But the Ansible installer fails (those being the only changes to the inventory file that otherwise works fine).
Looking into the journal I find:

28188 plugins.go:115] Couldn't open cloud provider configuration /etc/origin/cloudprovider/openstack.conf: &os.PathError{Op:"open", Path:"/etc/origin/cloudprovider/openstack.conf", Err:0x2}

And indeed the /etc/origin/cloudprovider/ dir is empty.

So am I missing something important here?