Remote image with referencePolicy.type=Local -> manifest unknown

Hi,

I imported a remote image and set  referencePolicy.type to Local in the resulting tag. When I try to deploy an pod using this image stream tag I get "rpc error: code = 2 desc = manifest unknown: manifest unknown".

If I change the referencePolicy type to Source then the pod pulls the image fine from the remote registry. But this requires linking a pull secret to the deployment which is an extra step I could do without. I thought I would get around that by referencing the Local image.

How do I pull the remote image when referencePolicy is Local?

Thanks