Issues running 'cotd' demo on Ubuntu Linux 16.04

Hi there,

I am trying to follow the book "DevOps With OpenShift" and having some trouble. When I get to the point of launching the 'cotd' container demo, specifically this line:

oc new-app --name='cotd' --labels name='cotd' php~https://github.com/devops-with-openshift/cotd.git -e SELECTOR=cats

It appears to spool up and build okay, but then fails in a crash loop:

AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.2. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
(13)Permission denied: AH00058: Error retrieving pid file /opt/rh/httpd24/root/var/run/httpd/httpd.pid
AH00059: Remove it before continuing if it is corrupted.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit, fully up-to-date including the kernel, and using the latest stable oc binary (Origin v3.6.0), and running Docker from its official repos. OpenShift itself seems to work great and has no major issues.

FWIW I've used this exact same book and exact same commands and processes to successfully get the demo up and running on two different Macs, so it looks like this is a Ubuntu-specific issue. I would switch to Fedora but my workstation requires Ubuntu for various annoying reasons. I want to get this up and running as my workstation has 32GB of RAM which is 2-4x more than all my other machines!

Version information follows:

foo bar:~$ oc version
oc v3.6.0+c4dd4cf
kubernetes v1.6.1+5115d708d7
features: Basic-Auth GSSAPI Kerberos SPNEGO

Server https://127.0.0.1:8443
openshift v3.6.0+c4dd4cf
kubernetes v1.6.1+5115d708d7

foo bar:~$ docker -v
Docker version 17.06.1-ce, build 874a737

foo bar:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

foo bar:~$ uname -a
Linux bar 4.4.0-93-generic #116-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 11 21:17:51 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux