Running OpenShift with geo-redundancy?

Does anyone have any experience running OpenShift with geo-redundancy? I'm guessing that if deployed on a platform like AWS that deploying across multiple availability zones is sufficient (is it?) but when deploying in our own datacenter we would need geo-redundancy to guarantee the availability of our service. Is that possible? What are the issues?