Installing openshift 3.10 in aws (hostnames vs internalDNS)

Hello.
I am trying to install an Openshift 3.10 Origin in AWS.
I am having an issue with hostnames, in the sense that after running the install playbooks from openshift ansible repo, the cluster is set up using internal AWS DNS as hostnames.
But during the install the playbooks looks for pods using the machine hostnames (IE custom hostnames)
The issue seems to be here:
https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible/blob/master/roles/openshift_control_plane/tasks/main.yml#L204

When I run the command manually on the host I get something like:
master-api-ip-xxx-xx-x-xx.us-east-2.compute.internal
but the script seems to be searching for
master-api-ip-hostname

Is there a config to change in order to make the cluster use hostnames, or make the ansible scripts use internal DNS?

Thank you!

--
Razvan Miron
Principal System Administrator