Replacing failed gluster node

I have a 3 node containerised glusterfs setup, and one of the nodes has just died.
I believe I can recover the disks that were used for the gluster storage.
What is the best approach to replacing that node with a new one?
Can I just create a new node with empty disks mounted and use the scaleup.yml playbook and [new_nodes] section, or should I be creating a node that re-uses the existing drives?

Tim