Parametrizing a BuildConfiguration with Docker ARGs

Hello all!

I've recently discovered and join this mailing list; hope I'm in the right place.
I'm new to the OShift ecosystem, currently trying to develop a configuration to containerize some apps. I'm using minishift local cluster on a Ubuntu 16.04 machine (details below).

I want to write a parametrized yaml template to configure the build process for my layers (those with a dockerStrategy) with using(or, better said connecting to ) the arguments defined in my Dockerfiles. I have found that OShift doesn't support ARG instructions prior to the FROM one when it reads the Dockerfile.
So, even if a docker build would run successfully with something like:

ARG OS_name="centos"
ARG OS_version="6.8"

FROM ${OS_name}:${OS_version}
#....rest of Dockerfile instructions...

if I try to define in my yaml config

strategy:
  dockerStrategy:
    buildArgs:
    - name: OS_name
      value: "7"

the build process does not work.

Has anyone else come across this issue and how did you get around it? What I'm trying to achieve is single configuration structure for multiple versions, so I wouldn't have to write separate Docker configs for different app versions. For example building a Java JRE layer on top of different OSs with one file.

Thank you,
Dan

PS: The closest thread regarding this issue that I've found in the archive is https://lists.openshift.redhat.com/openshift-archives/users/2017-January/msg00104.html

Running env details:

oc version
oc v3.6.0+c4dd4cf
kubernetes v1.6.1+5115d708d7
features: Basic-Auth GSSAPI Kerberos SPNEGO

Server https://192.168.99.100:8443
openshift v3.6.0+c4dd4cf
kubernetes v1.6.1+5115d708d7
=========