webconsole not found with locally built 3.8

Anyone see this behavior or know what it means?

I have git cloned openshift-origin and I am building the release-3.8 branch via:

   hack/env make clean build
   hack/build-local-images.py

I then run oc cluster up to get it to start:

   oc cluster up --version=latest

I use version latest because build-local-images.py tags them with "latest". I can confirm I am running 3.8:

$ oc version
oc v3.8.0-alpha.1+da8fb58-73
kubernetes v1.8.5+440f8d36da
features: Basic-Auth GSSAPI Kerberos SPNEGO

Server https://127.0.0.1:8443
openshift v3.8.0-alpha.1+da8fb58-73
kubernetes v1.8.5+440f8d36da

OK, so everything starts fine, and I can get the OS webconsole nicely.

I then "oc cluster down" and start it back up with the above oc cluster command a second time.

Thereafter, I cannot get the webconsole - the browser just shows me these two lines:

  missing service (service "webconsole" not found)
  missing route (service "webconsole" not found)

I don't understand why the first time I run after a build, it works fine, but after stopping and starting it the web console disappears??