How to use DNS hostname of OpenShift on AWS

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to use the DNS hostname when deploying OpenShift on AWS using https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible-contrib/tree/master/reference-architecture/aws-ansible Currently it uses private dns name, eg, ip-10-2-7-121.ap-southeast-2.compute.internal but that isn't too useful a name for me.  I've managed to set the hostname on the ec2 instance properly but disabling the relevant cloud-init setting, but it still grabs the private dns name somehow.

I tried adding "openshift_hostname" to be the same as "name" on this line: https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible-contrib/blob/master/reference-architecture/aws-ansible/playbooks/roles/instance-groups/tasks/main.yaml#L11

Which did set the hostname in the node-config.yaml, but then when running "oc get nodes" it still returned the private dns name somehow, and installation failed waiting for the nodes to start properly, I guess a mismatch between node names somewhere.

I found an old github issue, but it's all referring to files in ansible that exist no longer:
https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible/issues/1170

Even on OpenShift Online Starter, they're using the default ec2 names, eg: ip-172-31-28-11.ca-central-1.compute.internal, which isn't a good sign I guess.

Has anyone successfully used a DNS name for OpenShift on AWS?

Thanks,

Joel