RE: How to use DNS hostname of OpenShift on AWS

Deploying with https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible you can define the hostnames in your inventory file. There is a sample inventory file at https://docs.openshift.org/latest/install_config/install/advanced_install.html that shows how to define the master/etcd/nodes, and those names should be used as the hostnames in the cluster.

From: users-bounces lists openshift redhat com [mailto:users-bounces lists openshift redhat com] On Behalf Of Joel Pearson
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:14 AM
To: users <users lists openshift redhat com>
Subject: How to use DNS hostname of OpenShift on AWS

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to use the DNS hostname when deploying OpenShift on AWS using https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible-contrib/tree/master/reference-architecture/aws-ansible Currently it uses private dns name, eg, ip-10-2-7-121.ap-southeast-2.compute.internal but that isn't too useful a name for me.  I've managed to set the hostname on the ec2 instance properly but disabling the relevant cloud-init setting, but it still grabs the private dns name somehow.

Which did set the hostname in the node-config.yaml, but then when running "oc get nodes" it still returned the private dns name somehow, and installation failed waiting for the nodes to start properly, I guess a mismatch between node names somewhere.

I found an old github issue, but it's all referring to files in ansible that exist no longer:

Even on OpenShift Online Starter, they're using the default ec2 names, eg: ip-172-31-28-11.ca-central-1.compute.internal, which isn't a good sign I guess.

Has anyone successfully used a DNS name for OpenShift on AWS?

Thanks,

Joel

Information in this e-mail may be confidential. It is intended only for the addressee(s) identified above. If you are not the addressee(s), or an employee or agent of the addressee(s), please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender of the error.