Deployment Strategy: lifecycle hooks how to inject configuration

Hello all!

Trying to build an OShift configuration for running a Java app with a Wildfly server.
I've setup this with ChainBuilds where the app's artifacts are combined with a runtime image of Wildfly.

For this particular app, however, I need to do some configuration on the Wildfly environment, so that the app is properly deployed and works.
- update a server module (grabbing the contents from the web and copying them in the right location inside Wildfly)
- add system properties and some other configuration to Wildfly's standalone.xml configuration file
- create some directory structure

I've tried to run all this with the Recreate deployment starategy and as a mid-hook procedure (so the previous deployment pod is scaled down), but all these changes aren't reflected in the actual(new) deployment pod.

Taking a closer look at the docs, I've found this line "
Pod-based lifecycle hooks execute hook code in a new pod derived from the template in a deployment configuration."
So whatever I'm doing in my hook, is actually done in a different pod, the hook pod, and not in the actual deployment pod. Did I understand this correctly?
If so, how does the injection work here? Does it have to do with the fact that the deployment has to have persistent volumes? So the hooks actually do changes inside a volume that will be mounted with the deployment pod too...

Thank you!