Re: Deployment Strategy: lifecycle hooks how to inject configuration

On Wed, 2018-02-21 at 14:43 +0200, Dan Pungă wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> Trying to build an OShift configuration for running a Java app with a
> Wildfly server.
> I've setup this with ChainBuilds where the app's artifacts are
> combined with a runtime image of Wildfly.
>
> For this particular app, however, I need to do some configuration on
> the Wildfly environment, so that the app is properly deployed and
> works.
> - update a server module (grabbing the contents from the web and
> copying them in the right location inside Wildfly)
> - add system properties and some other configuration to Wildfly's
> standalone.xml configuration file
> - create some directory structure
>
> I've tried to run all this with the Recreate deployment starategy and
> as a mid-hook procedure (so the previous deployment pod is scaled
> down), but all these changes aren't reflected in the actual(new)
> deployment pod.
>
> Taking a closer look at the docs, I've found this line "Pod-based
> lifecycle hooks execute hook code in a new pod derived from the
> template in a deployment configuration."
> So whatever I'm doing in my hook, is actually done in a different
> pod, the hook pod, and not in the actual deployment pod. Did I
> understand this correctly?
Yes, hook is a different pod. If you want to share it with other
(regular app) pods you need persistent volume; not that I would
recommend this approach.

Likely there is a better solution like having directory structure and
other static layout baked into image and sharing configuration by using
e.g. configmap mounted into pods or by env vars.

possibly check
https://kubernetes.io/docs/concepts/workloads/pods/init-containers/