Passing a binary to a jenkins pipeline build

Is there any way to pass a binary to a jenkins pipeline build, and subsequently access in the groovy code?
Basically I want to be able to track the status of the build and release process (hence the pipeline), but the pipeline kicks off a build which needs the binary input that was provided when the pipeline was started.

The only solution I can see is to kick off that binary build directly, and have it then trigger the pipeline (via image change) to finish the rest of the process. But this is not ideal as you don't get the coherent view the pipeline offers, and it's harder to correlate which binary build corresponds to which pipeline build.

-Patrick