Re: Trying to import Tomcat container

Which Tomcat image is this based on?
Probably the problem is that the image runs as the root user (e.g. the standard Docker image on Docker Hub does this).
By default OpenShift does not allow to run containers as root user - instead it tries to run as an OpenShift assigned non-privileged user. Probably this is the case for you so your container is running as a user that does not have privs to read the server.xml file.

A workaround for this is described here:
https://docs.openshift.org/latest/admin_guide/manage_scc.html#enable-dockerhub-images-that-require-root
But better to use an image that allows to run as an arbitrarily assigned user ID.