OpenShift 3.6 on AWS creating EBS volumes in wrong region

Hello,

I have a brand new Origin 3.6 running on AWS, the master and all nodes are in us-east-1a but whenever I try to have AWS create a new volume, it puts it in us-east-1c so then no one can access it and all my nodes go into a permanent pending state because NoVolumeZoneConflict.  Looking at aws.conf it states us-east-1a.  What am I missing?

Thanks