Pod persistence without replication controller

Does anyone know why a standalone pod (without a replication controller) sometimes persists through a host/node reboot, but not all times (not evacuating first)? We have a database pod that we cannot risk scaling, and want to ensure that it’s always running.

Information in this e-mail may be confidential. It is intended only for the addressee(s) identified above. If you are not the addressee(s), or an employee or agent of the addressee(s), please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender of the error.