scheduler policy to spread pods

I've got a process the fires up a number of pods (bare pods, not backed by replication controller) to execute a computationally demanding job in parallel. What I find is that the pods do not spread effectively across the available nodes. In my case I have a node selector that restricts execution to 3 nodes, and the pods run mostly on the first node, a few run on the second node, and none run on the third node.

I know that I could specify cpu resource requests and limits to help with this, but for other reasons I'm currently unable to do this.

It looks like this is controllable through the scheduler, but the options for controlling this look pretty complex. Could someone advise on how best to allow pods to spread evenly across nodes rather than execute preferentially on one node?