How to debug FlexMount failure

We're deploying Origin 3.9 with a flex volume driver that mounts CIFS drives.  We're seeing something very odd.  The driver runs, we see the mount command complete and we can see the cifs mounted directory but the pod reports a timeout when trying to mount the volume.  We're not finding any errors that tell us much.  Should we be looking on the api server?  The node?  Anyone seen something like this before?  Whats also odd about this is there's another cifs mount point with the same flexvolume script in the pod, that works great.