Re: IBM WebSphere Application Server on OpenShift Origin

I have figured out that when I use the following settings:

-> then I get a different error:

-> which means that the routing is successful (it reaches to the WebSphere Application Server), but the path is wrong since it should route with the path /ibm/console included to

https://sls-coba-was-admin-insecure-sls-coba-berlin-ffm.10.0.75.2.nip.io:9043/ibm/console to retrieve the WebSphere Administration Console

However, when I use the aforementioned settings (passthrough TLS termination + Redirect as TLS termination policy) then I can't set the required path.

So, how can I route to  https://sls-coba-was-admin-insecure-sls-coba-berlin-ffm.10.0.75.2.nip.io:9043/ibm/console but use a non-secured connection by WebSphere like this   (which is normally done by WebSphere automatically)? Since my IBM WebSphere Application Server isn't secured by SSL with an official certificate but the security is enabled, the url with HTTPS  has to be used which then is displayed as a non-secured route because my server doesn't have an official SSL certificate. I think the redirecting of my WebSphere Application Server might cause some problems because theOpenShift router doesn't handle it correctly?

I have a feeling that WebSphere tries to reroute me to a port by sending a ref-link to the client. How does OpenShift handle that?

How could I fix this?

Tien

I'm trying to install IBM WebSphere Application Server on OpenShift Origin running on my local computer (Docker for Windows).

Normally, when I'm running IBM WebSphere Application Server on Docker, I just use an URL like this to retrieve the Admin console on the browser: https://10.0.75.1:9043/ibm/console/logon.jsp. However, my WebSphere Application doesn't support SSL (which is the default setting), hence it establishes an unsecured connection (without the https) between the browser and the server, and this worked fine when I was running WebSphere on Docker.

Now, I was trying to migrate the same Docker WebSphere Application Server image to OpenShift Origin. Therefore, I created a secured router with the path  /ibm/console/logon.jsp.pointing to a service on port 9043 that connects to my deployed WebSphere Application Server pod. The URL for the route looks like this: https://websphere-server-myproject.10.0.75.2.nip.io/ibm/console/login.do?action="">secure

However, the route doesn't work and I can't retrieve the WebSphere Application Server Console on my Browser. I'm getting the following message on the browser:

Application is not available

The application is currently not serving requests at this endpoint. It may not have been started or is still starting.

Possible reasons you are seeing this page:

  • The host doesn't exist. Make sure the hostname was typed correctly and that a route matching this hostname exists.
  • The host exists, but doesn't have a matching path. Check if the URL path was typed correctly and that the route was created using the desired path.
  • Route and path matches, but all pods are down. Make sure that the resources exposed by this route (pods, services, deployment configs, etc) have at least one pod running.
When I try the same with an unsecured router, I'm getting the same error.

I think there is a problem with the routing system on OpenShift in combination with IBM WebSphere Application Server because the IBM WebSphere Application Server has just worked fine on Docker.

Please, could you help me to solve this issue?

Regards,
Tien

So, how can I route to  https://sls-coba-was-admin-insecure-sls-coba-berlin-ffm.10.0.75.2.nip.io:9043/ibm/console but use a non-secured connection by WebSphere like this   (which is normally done by WebSphere automatically)? Since my IBM WebSphere Application Server isn't secured by SSL but the security is enabled, the url with HTTPS  has to be used which then uses a non-secured route because my server doesn't support SSL. I think the redirecting of my WebSphere Application Server might cause some problems because the OpenShift router doesn't handle it correctly?