Re: OpenShift Origin on AWS

There is cloud formation templates as part of the 3.6 reference architecture. But that is now deprecated. I’m using that template at a client site and it worked fine (I’ve adapted it to work with 3.9 by using a static inventory as we didn’t want to revisit our architecture from scratch). We did customise it a fair bit though.

https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible-contrib/blob/master/reference-architecture/aws-ansible/README.md

Here is an example of a jinja template that outputs a cloud formation template.

However, you can’t use the playbook as is for 3.9/3.10 because openshift-ansible has breaking changes to the playbooks.

For some reason the new playbooks for 3.9/3.10 don’t use cloud formation, but rather use the amazon ansible plugins instead and directly interact with AWS resources:

https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible/blob/master/playbooks/aws/README.md

That new approach is pretty interesting though as it uses prebuilt AMIs and auto-scaling groups, which make it very quick to add nodes.

Hopefully some of that is useful to you.