Service and route in front of api pods in OpenShift 3.10

Hello,

I'm wondering if it's possible to create a service and a route in front of the master-api pods in the kube-system project.
My goal is to combine this with https://github.com/tnozicka/openshift-acme to have a Let's Encrypt certificate in front of <openshift_master_cluster_public_hostname>.

I tried with:

apiVersion: v1
kind: Service
metadata:
  name: api
spec:
  selector:
  ports:
  - nodePort: 0
    port: 443
    protocol: TCP
    targetPort: 443

and

oc create route edge --service=api --hostname=<openshift_master_cluster_public_hostname>

But I get this answer:

 502 Bad Gateway
The server returned an invalid or incomplete response.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if it's even feasible at all because the pods are running in network_mode: host.

Thanks a lot