Re: Atomic Host support on OpenShift 3.11 and up

On Sep 25, 2018, at 6:22 AM, Joel Pearson <japearson agiledigital com au> wrote:

Clayton, does this mean that in OpenShift 4.0 you'd be able to take a vanilla kubernetes installation and then install a bunch of OpenShift operators and basically have an OpenShift cluster?

It’s not really the goal, since there are still admission plugins and patches in Kube-* binaries that are necessary to keep backward compatibility and round our multitenant security.  Also, the top level operator will manage the control plane, which won’t work well if you don’t have a control plane or someone else installed it.  Finally, node management will be a fully integrated part of 4.0, so many of the advantages of Red Hat CoreOS would be lost.

That said, if you squint, yes, and we will certainly be doing things that make the separation clearer over time.

Or is that not really the goal of migration to operators? Is it just to make future OpenShift releases easier to package?

The goal is a fully managed update process that works at the click of a button, full node management on all cloud providers and metal, better and more dynamic cluster config (moving config to api objects you can kubectl apply post-install), and better future support for extending openshift with other ecosystem projects like istio and knative