[tutorial] cleaning up the docker registry on openshift

Hi all,

i the last days the docker registry on our cluster(3.9) ran out of space. The registry the is backed with glusterfs storage. This happened sometime in the past so i expanded the volume used by the docker registry

  • heketi-cli volume expand --volume <volume_id> --expand-size <size>

I needed to recreate the pvc with the new capacity and rollout the docker registry DeploymentConfig to get it working.

This happened again yesterday and I wanted to figure out how to clean up the registry instead of expanding it's size. It got 80G huge!

This is how i done that

  • ssh to the master

# Add the system:image-pruner role: The service account used to run the registry instances requires additional permissions in order to list some resources.
Get the service account name:

  •     service_account=$(oc get -n default -o jsonpath=$'system:serviceaccount:{.metadata.namespace}:{.spec.template.spec.serviceAccountName}\n' dc/docker-registry)

# Add the system:image-pruner cluster role to the service account:
service_account=$(oc get -n default -o jsonpath=$'system:serviceaccount:{.metadata.namespace}:{.spec.template.spec.serviceAccountName}\n' dc/docker-registry)

  •   oc adm policy add-cluster-role-to-user system:image-pruner ${service_account}

# select the default project

  • oc project default

# login as registry service account

  • oc login -u system:serviceaccount:default:registry

# check prune dry run

  •  oc adm prune images --keep-tag-revisions=3 --keep-younger-than=60m

# run prune

  • oc adm prune images --keep-tag-revisions=3 --keep-younger-than=60m --confirm

#login again as admin

  • oc login -u system:admin

The Registry size shrank into 4G ^^

I though i share this with you if you got a similar issue. If any body has a better approach or any note on that, I will be happy if you contact me :)

Kind Regards,
Alix A.