Changing Prometheus rules

What is the "right" way to edit Prometheus rules that are deployed by default on OKD 3.11?
I have alerts that are annoyingly noisy, and want to silence them forever!

I tried editing the definition of the PrometheusRule CRD and/or the prometheus-k8s-rulefiles-0 ConfigMap in the openshift-monitoring project but my changes keep getting reverted back to the original.